Monday, June 15, 2009

'Survivor' to film back to back seasons, Probst unsure of his future

Seasons 19 and 20 of Survivor will be filmed back to back instead of taking a 3 month break in between as usual. The reason is entirely about saving money.

Host and Emmy winner Jeff Probst says, "This season we're also doing back-to-back seasons because of budget cuts, and that's just the truth. We are having to do two seasons to save money, because every television show is undergoing some sort of a cut," Probst said "And I think that’s going to be hard on people. It’s a long time to be away from home. We’re gone nearly four months. Six weeks was one thing; 14 weeks is another," he said.

Probst was also asked about his future with the show since his contract expires after season 20. "That will be 10 years, and I really at this point don’t know my own personal feelings about continuing or not. I really don’t," Probst said.

"I’m incredibly loyal to Mark, and we have a crew of 325; I don’t want to be the guy that has anything to do with having a hiccup in Survivor. It’s a hard time to have a job, and I have one, and I certainly don’t want to walk away from a job. So I’m not trying to be coy or cagey," Probst said. "I’ve been telling Mark, 10 years and 20 seasons is a long time to do the same job from a creative standpoint. But then there’s the logical, rational side of, you are employed, you moron."

"On the last Thursday, ‘Survivor’ beat ‘CSI.’ Survivor’ is untouchable on Thursdays at eight. Everything that’s thrown at it, they don’t come close. If a show stays on, it stays on. ‘America’s Most Wanted’ has been on for 20 years, there’s no reason ‘Survivor’ won’t be on for 20 years."

In my opinion it would be extremely difficult to replace Probst as the host of 'Survivor.' More than any other reality host, he is part of the show. Replacing him would show just how critical he is to the show and his absence would be felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment